The Builder is one of the most important workers for your Colony. As long as you provide the builder with all the resources he/she asks for, the builder will build and upgrade all of your Town buildings.
Before any building can be built, you have to craft the “Builder’s Hut” block in the crafting table and use your “Building Tool” to place th building. Once you “commit” to the placement of the builder’s hut, the block will be placed and the builder will be automatically assigned (or you can manually assign one with the best Workers#Traits for builder if you changed this in the setting tab in the Town Hall's GUI).
Best Traits are: Intelligence and Strength.
You now officially have a “Builder!” CONGRATULATIONS!
Now you will have to issue the builder the “Build” assignment so he/she can build his own Hut first. Without the builder’s hut being built, the builder cannot build any other buildings. The builder will be asking for the materials he/she needs. Make sure to check the “chat” regularly to see what materials the builder is requesting for any build/upgrade.
- Hint: If you see the builder has not finished a work order and you don’t see the builder asking for any materials, go to the builder’s hut and “recall” the builder and wait a bit to see what he/she needs. you can also go to page 2 of the hut's block GUI and see there any materials that are required and he might be missing, they will be in red.
Now you can access the Builder’s Hut block (right click on it) and you will see a GUI with different options:
The Worker assigned and his Skill Level. (you level him up by assigning more build/upgrade/repair tasks. The higher the level the faster and more efficient he/she will be). And the buttons:
- Fire/Hire Worker.- If you think you have a better Citizen for the job with better skills or "Traits"
- Recall Worker.- If the builder gets stuck somewhere, or you just want to see what the builder has or give the builder something directly.
- Build/Upgrade Building.- to create the build/upgrade work order for this building.
- Repair Building.- So the builder can recreate the original building (at the current level) and fix any broken, missing, unwanted addons to the original building.
- Inventory.- This is the most important button. Here you can access the buildings storage from where the "Worker" takes and deposits materials, tools and anything he/she finds along the way (citizens will pickup anything in their path that is considered a "drop"; saplings, seeds, rotten flesh, bones, arrows, etc.).
This is "page 2" of the GUI. It shows the "Required Resources" that the Builder will need for the Build/Upgrade he is currently working on. This amount will change as he places the material and will show ONLY waht material he still needs to place.
And the button:
- Inventory.- This is the most important button. Here you can access the buildings storage from where the “worker” takes and deposits materials, tools and anything he/she finds along the way (citizens will pickup anything in their path that is considered a "drop"; sapling, seeds, rotten flesh, bones, arrows, etc.).
A few things to consider
The placement of the “Builders Hut”. You could consider having the builders hut in the middle of where you plan to have the rest of your buildings so that the builder has less of a distance to walk between the chest and the build site.
The builder will not start another build assignment until he/she has finished the current one. Hint: You can go to the Town Hall and click on the “Work Orders” tab and cancel the current build as well as arrange the priorities of the following build orders. If you cancel a work order, when you assign the build again, the builder will continue where he/she left off.
Any block the builder removes (dirt, wood, planks, glass, etc.) while building and/or upgrading he/she will keep it in his/her inventory or the builder might place it in the Builders hut chest.
In order for the builder to “upgrade” any building, the Builders Hut MUST be upgraded first. Then he/she will be able to upgrade any other building(s).